Forsíða Snartarstadir

Menu

Banner

Sarpur

Banner
Banner
Um Snartarstaði
Tuesday, 07 September 2021 00:00

The folk museum of Norður-Þingeyingar is at Snartarstaðir, about 1 kilometer outside the town of Kópasker.

The museum was opened in 1991 in an old school building and has around 2000 objects on display. However, the preparations to open the museum started many years before, around 1950, when people realized that the old farming society was running its course and along with it, many objects would be lost forever. Things that had been necessary for daily life were slowly becoming outdated and people started collecting them. In 1959, Ragnar Ásgeirsson, the advisor of the Farmers Association of Iceland at the time, visited every home in the county to gather these objects. Not everyone wanted to donate their items, since they could not see a purpose to preserving these items that they considered common and unimportant. For a long time, the objects that were gathered were kept in storages all over the area, until they finally got a permanent home in the old school building.

The exhibition at Snartarstaðir is characterized by two different collections. One is the large amount of all sorts of handicrafts, like embroidery, woven textiles, knitted things, national costumes and other handmade items. Most of the handicrafts were made by women from the area. The other collection is the library of the couple from Leirhöfn, Helgi Kristjánsson and Andrea Jónsdóttir. In 1952, they donated their 9000 volume library that Helgi had largely bound himself, to the county. The library, as well as some tidbits about the cultured couple, are on display at the museum. Helgi was a man of many talents. As well as being a bookbinder, he also founded a noteworthy hat-making business that guests can learn about at the museum.

There are many interesting items on display alongside the handicrafts and the books. There are traditional cultural artefacts like guns, objects made from iron and wood and various household items. There is also a homemade fire pump, toys and lots of fun knickknacks that one can get lost in perusing.

The museum is run by the District Culture Center and is open during the summer.

 
 
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner